Rather than introduce new characters, this one enables the four bosses as well as draw from the first Fatal Fury game with the additions of Duck King, Tung Fu Rue, and another boss, Geese, marking the first playable appearances of all three.
Fatal Fury Special NEO GEO game description
Fatal Fury Special is an updated version of Fatal Fury 2. It features many of the same graphics and gameplay, although some slight changes were made to the system, including faster game speed and an all new combo system. Unlike the previous Fatal Fury games, Special allows the player to combine their attacks.
When an attack lands, the player will have a brief moment of invincibility. The number of Line Move Attacks have also increased; pressing the Light Punch or Light Kick button while the opponent is on an opposite line will perform a Low Line Jump Attack.
The single-player mode has the player fighting all of the playable characters, beginning with the eight regular characters from the previous game, as well as Tung and Duck, with the player given a choice in their first opponent. After the first ten opponents, the player will fight against Billy, Axel, Laurence, Geese, and Krauser, in that order.
If the player wins every match in two rounds, then the player will be challenged by Ryo in a special “Dream Match”.
Fatal Fury Special features a fairly large selection of fighters that includes:
- The eight regular fighters from Fatal Fury 2: Terry Bogard, Andy Bogard, Joe Higashi, Kim Kaphwan, Jubei Yamada, Cheng Sinzan, Mai Shiranui and Big Bear.
- The four bosses from Fatal Fury 2: Billy Kane, Axel Hawk, Lawrence Blood and Wolfgang Krauser (this time they’re all immediately playable).
- Three characters returning from the first Fatal Fury: Duck King, Tung Fu Rue and Geese Howard (the end boss from Fatal Fury).
Other improvements include:
- A new Count Down mode (defeat as many opponents as possible in 3 minutes).
- Extra color schemes for every character.
- New & improved background graphics.
- Dolby Surround Sound support.
Fatal Fury Special still features the series’ trademark pseudo-3D movement along two planes.
The character roster of Fatal Fury 2 returns. The four AI-only characters from the previous game (Billy Kane, Axel Hawk, Laurence Blood, and Wolfgang Krauser) can now be controlled by the player, and three characters from the original Fatal Fury (Tung Fu Rue, Duck King, and Geese Howard) return, increasing the number of playable characters to fifteen.
Ryo Sakazaki, the protagonist of Art of Fighting, appears as a hidden opponent at the end of the Single Player Mode and is playable in the home versions. This cross-over ultimately inspired SNK to create The King of Fighters series, first of which was released a year after Fatal Fury Special.
Play Fatal Fury Special online
You can play Fatal Fury Special for NEO GEO online, in a web browser!